Sunday, May 25, 2008

BATTING MY EYELASHES

image002.gif picture by 21arti

Your morning thought for the day:
It still holds true that man is most uniquely human
when he turns obstacles into opportunities.
-- Eric Hoffer

BATTING MY EYELASHES
by Janet Perez Eckles

A baby camel asked his mother,
"Why do we have such large hoofs on our feet?"
She turned to him.
"God made us that way for a very special reason,"
and she began her explanation.
"The big hoofs are to keep us
from sinking into the sand."
"Oh! So why do we have long eyelashes?"
"It's to protect our eyes from the sand."
"Why the big humps?"
"That is to store fat and
have enough energy to go long
distances in the hot desert!"
"I see!" the baby camel stretched his neck
and looked up at his mother,
"The big hoofs are to keep from sinking into the sand,
the long eyelashes are to keep the sand out of our eyes,
and the humps are to store energy to travel long distances --
then what are we doing in this cage in the middle of a zoo?"
Like the camel, I had asked the same kind of questions.
When my blindness set in,
I initially locked myself in a cage
of self-pity and bitterness.
Weary from pacing within that gloomy cage,
something nudged me to see
beyond my circumstance and unfortunate plight.
Heavens! What was I thinking?
Those bars were self-imposed.
But worst of all, I'd supported them
with the cold metal of my negative attitude.
Eventually, eagerness to leave my
stuffy cell of discontent
prompted me to open my ears
to hear a reassuring whisper --
God had created me for much more.
Itching to break free, I broke down those bars
and stepped out into the desert of life.
I trudged through the heat
with determination and drive.
I endured the blistering sun with
perseverance and tenacity.
I quenched my thirst with fresh
inspiration and encouragement.
And the hooves of confidence kept me
from sinking into the sand of insecurity.
Thinking ahead, I made sure
I'd stored a healthy supply of
wisdom and positive attitude
to take me through the long haul.
Goodness gracious.
Each time I reached another point in my journey,
my eyes saw a whole new world
with opportunities to make a difference.
Best of all, I was delighted with the affirmation that I
was indeed created for much more!
Bars come in all sizes and shapes.
Some are physical, others are emotional or even mental.
But none can withstand the force of
determination that breaks them down.
The effort is worth it and the
results, simply amazing!
So, batting my long eyelashes
to keep out the sand of discouragement,
I challenge you --
Step back and peek at what bars limit you.
Take a deep breath,
break them down,
and emerge into the freshness of a new life!

1HummerBlank-vi.gif picture by 21arti



No comments: